Who we are
About Privredna Banka Zagreb
Privredna banka Zagreb d. d. is one of Croatia’s top banks with a long and continuous history of banking operations.It was established in 1966 and it is the legal successor of Banka NRH, founded in 1962.In all stages of its history, Privredna banka Zagreb has been supporting major investment programs for the development of tourism, agriculture, industry, shipbuilding, electrification and road building, and has become a byword for the economic vitality, continuity and identity of Croatia.The privatization of Privredna banka Zagreb was successfully brought to an end in December 1999. Having purchased 66.3 percent of the shares of Privredna banka Zagreb, former Banca Commerciale Italiana (BCI) became its majority shareholder, while the Croatian State Agency for Deposit Insurance and Bank Rehabilitation kept a stake of 25 percent plus two shares. BCI later became part of Gruppo Intesa, the leading banking group in Italy which ranks in the top ten banking groups in Europe.Privredna banka Zagreb has thus become a bank of Gruppo Intesa. The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) acquired a minority stake in PBZ in 2002.In January 2007, after the merger of Banca Intesa and Sanpaolo IMI, Privredna banka Zagreb became a member of the Intesa Sanpaolo Group.In June 2015, by acquisition of shares from the EBRD, Intesa Sanpaolo increased its majority stake in the share capital of PBZ to 97.47 percent.Privredna banka Zagreb still focuses its business strategy on modern forms of banking and new products, living up to its image of a dynamic and modern European bank that responds to the demands of the market and its clients.From its very foundation Privredna banka Zagreb has been one of the leading banks in Croatia.It has received a number of prestigious international and Croatian awards for excellence.
Mission and Vision
To be a model company and a centre of excellence in creating new values and providing a high-quality service in all of our areas of business to the benefit of our customers, community, shareholders and employees.
Our mission is to make regular and effective use of all resources at our disposal to continuously improve all aspects of our business, including human resources, technology and business processes.
Privredna banka Zagreb is a modern financial institution which is aware of its role and the total influence it has on the Croatian society. The corporate values which are incorporated into our daily business include business success, as well as our concern for people, environment and the overall improvement of life quality for the society we operate in.
By appreciating regional specifics of the area we operate in we create mutual trust, the sense of belonging and thus the loyalty of our clients.
We pursue our goals with honesty, fairness and responsibility in the full and true respect of the rules and professional ethics and in the spirit of signed agreements.
We set ourselves the goal of continuous improvement, farsightedness, anticipating challenges, cultivating extensive creativity aimed at innovation; moreover we recognise and reward merits.
We are committed to making transparency the basis of our actions, advertising and contracts in order to allow all our stakeholders to make independent and informed decisions
Respect for specific qualities
It is our intention to combine large-scale operations with profound local roots and to be a bank with a broad vision, without losing sight of individuals.
We are committed to eliminating all forms of discrimination from our conduct and to respect differences in sex, age, race, religion, political and union persuasions, language or disability.
Values of the individual
The value of each single person is a guide for our modus operandi: we use listening and dialogue as tools for continuously improving our relationships with all our stakeholders.
Responsibility in use of resources
We aim to use all our resources attentively, promote behaviour based on the best use of resources and the avoidance of waste and ostentation, and we give priority to choices that take sustainability into account.
Organization and Corporate Documents
Corporate Governance Policies
Diversity & Inclusion
HQ and Basic info
PRIVREDNA BANKA ZAGREB – JOINT STOCK COMPANY
COMPANY (short name)
Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
ADDRESS of HEADQUARTERS
Radnička cesta 50, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Tel. +385 1 636 0000
Fax +385 1 636 0063
IBAN: HR64 2340 0091 0000 0001 3
Registered with the Commercial Court in Zagreb, no. 080002817, statistical no.: 3269841, TPIN (OIB) 02535697732
Equity capital of the Bank: 1.907.476.900,00 kuna, paid in full and allocated as 19,074,769 shares, each with nominal value of 100,00 kunas per share.
- 1966. Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. (PBZ) was founded in 1966 and is a legal successor to the Banka Narodne Republike Hrvatske established in 1962.
- 1989. In 1989, the Bank became a joint stock company.
- 1999. After successful privatization in December 1999, Banca Commerciale Italiana (BCI) purchased 66.3% of the shares of Privredna banka Zagreb d.d., while the State Agency for Deposit Insurance and Bank Resolution retained 25%, plus two shares.
- 2000. In 2000, BCI became part of Gruppo Intesa, the leading Italian banking group, and PBZ thus became a member of one of the largest European banking groups, which opened up new strategic opportunities for growth and development, introduction of new and innovative products and significant improvement of business processes and corporate governance. For example, as early as 2000, PBZ was first on the market to start with Internet banking implementation and it has managed to maintain its leading position in the market in the application of new technologies until today.
The text below contains a brief overview of the most important integration processes related to Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
- In 2000, Krapinsko-zagorska banka was merged into Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
- In 2002, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) acquired the minority stake (20.88%) in Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
- In 2004, Riadria banka was merged into Privredna banka Zagreb d.d., while Laguna banka was merged into Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. a year later, in 2005.
- 2006, Furthermore, when we are talking about integration processes in January 2006, the card business of Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. and PBZ American Express were integrated into a new company - PBZ Card d.o.o. which is today the leading card institution in the country.
- In 2007, by merging two large Italian banks, Banca Intesa and Sanpaolo IMI, Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. becomes a member of Intesa Sanpaolo Group, one of the leading banking groups in Europe.
- 2012 Međimurska banka d.d. was merged into Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. in 2012.
- In June 2015, by acquiring a stake from the EBRD, Intesa Sanpaolo increased its majority shareholding in Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. to 97.47 percent.
It’s important to note that PBZ is today a centre of excellence for many areas of banking operations in Intesa Sanpaolo Group and recently became a regional centre, by acquiring the subsidiary banks in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Slovenia as part of the ownership restructuring within Intesa Sanpaolo Group.
- In July 2015, Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. acquired the majority stake in Intesa Sanpaolo Bank d.d. Bosnia and Herzegovina
- In 2017, Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. acquired 51% of the share capital of Banka Intesa Sanpaolo d.d. in Slovenia (the former Banka Koper d.d.).
- In 2018, Vento banka d.d. was acquired and merged into Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
At all stages of its history, PBZ has been one of the key holders of the largest investment and economic development programs in the Republic of Croatia. Today, PBZ is the leading credit institution in many segments of banking business and the implementation of new technologies on the Croatian market, and with a wide-ranging business network of outlets and ATMs, it covers the entire territory of Croatia.With its business strategy, PBZ continues to focus on contemporary forms of banking and the continuous improvement and development of new and innovative products and services with the client at the centre of the activity.
Over the years, the Bank has been rewarded a number of prestigious international and domestic awards for the quality of its business activities.
The past years of professionalism and teamwork have brought the Bank many awards and recognition from the most respected financial world journals such as Euromoney, The Banker, Global Finance etc., and institutions such as the Croatian Chamber of Commerce etc.
The Euromoney Award
- In 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020., 2021 and 2022 Euromoney awarded Privredna banka Zagreb the Euromoney Award for Excellence as the best bank in Croatia. During the 2006 the Euromoney awarded PBZ the Euromoney Award for Excellence for The Best Debt House in Croatia.
- Euromoney awarded Privredna banka Zagreb for the Best Private Banking Service in Croatia.
The Global Finance Award
From 2003 to 2018, PBZ has won numerous prestigious awards for best bank in Croatia in the categories The Best Emerging Market Banks and The World’s Best Banks in Central and Eastern Europe as well as Best Consumer Digital Bank 2018. in Croatia.
The Central Europeand Award
Central European declared Privredna banka Zagreb to be the Best Bank of the decade in Croatia in 1999.
The Banker Award
The magazine The Banker awarded Privredna banka Zagreb the prize for the Best Bank of the Year in Croatia (Bank of the Year 2005, 2011, 2017, 2019 and 2020).
The Finance Central Europe Award
The British financial magazine "Finance Central Europe" declared Mr. Božo Prka, the President of the Management Board of Privredna banka Zagreb, to be the best banker in South East Europe (2002), and the best banker in Croatia (2006), and Privredna banka Zagreb to be the best bank (2002, 2006).
The Golden Share
The award for market capitalisation and investment funds and for the best banking share was presented to Privredna banka Zagreb for the previous business year in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
The Golden Marten (Zlatna kuna)
The award for the most successful bank in the Republic of Croatia was presented to Privredna banka Zagreb in 2004, 2005, 2010, 2017, 2018 and 2021.
Zlatna bilanca (Golden Balance Sheet)
In 2019 FINA (Financial Agency) Awarded PBZ for the Best Bank of the year.
Adria Zeitung Award "Das Beste Kroatiens"
Privredna banka Zagreb received recognition of its brand as part of the Adria Zeitung "Das Beste Kroatiens" campaign in 2007.
STP Excellencfe Award
Privredna banka Zagreb has for several years been the recipient of the Straight-Through Processing (STP) Excellence Award from prominent world banks, that is, awards for excellence in processing payment orders sent abroad. The recognition of the quality of the payment orders sent in 2007 was awarded to Privredna banka Zagreb d.d. by Deutsche Bank and Dresdner Bank.k.